Dear Companions/Flat mates/Sisters/Friends!
Before I finish this
wonderful experience, otherwise known as a mission, I just wanted to let each
of you know how grateful I am for you and thank each of you for being an
influential part of my life. Whether I got to bug you 24/7 as your companion,
or just in the flat, or those 24 hours on an exchange, thank you for putting up
with me!
I literally cannot imagine
my life without my mission. I once heard someone say serving a mission is like
running a marathon (not like I can relate to running or anything... but I
really like the idea of this, so bear with me!) You get really tired and
sometimes you just want the race to end already. Yet when you finish, you feel
like you are on top of the world (unless you are Sis. Rushing who is currently
in denial that she is finishing in just a few days!).
Before the mission
everyone always told me that missions are the hardest and best thing you could
ever do. I really struggled to see how it could be both, until I arrived in the
mission field. I soon realized that missions are hard. 6:30 everyday for 18
months?! That is HARD. Talking to random people that think you are crazy?! That
is HARD. Giving up yourself and a lot of who you are to serve the Lord with all
your heart, might, mind and strength?! That is HARD. Not fitting into any of
your skirts because of the ridiculous amount of weight you put on in a
relatively short amount of time?! That is HARD. Each of us struggle more with
different aspects than others, but no matter how strong or near to being
translated we may be, missions are HARD.
Yet at the same time
missions are GREAT! Seeing the spirit in someone’s eyes?! That is GREAT. Slowly
but surely becoming more of a scriptorian?! That is GREAT. Finding a golden new
investigator?! That is GREAT. Someone coming to church on Sunday?! That is
GREAT. Surviving 3 huge feeds in one day?! That is GREAT. Seeing a less active
come back into the fold?! That is GREAT. Finding friends from the pre-mortal
existence?! That is GREAT. Seeing someone enter the waters of baptism?! That is
GREAT. Becoming your own biggest convert?! That is GREAT. No matter how hard
times may be, no one can deny that missions are GREAT. And now as I look back
on my mission, I only see the tops of the roses, not all the thorns of trials
that lie underneath.
By no means am I trying to
say that I am perfect, and have learned all the ropes of missionary life. Nor
am I saying I have always done all of the following 100%. But I thought I would
share some of the so-called "pearls of wisdom" that I have learned
throughout my mission.
You might also notice that
most, if not all, of these pearls came from each of you :) Especially my
companions. Lucky for me though, I got to be "companions" with many
of you, even if it was just for 24 hours! I always learned something from each
of you that I could then apply to myself and also share with others. I cannot
thank each of you enough for each of the lessons you have taught me, the
examples you have been, and for the spirit I have felt when you testify. You
have each helped me feel like I have finished on top!
I hope that in this
impossible attempt of a comprehensive list, I included something that can help
each of you in your work. It is my biggest hope for each of you to have the
best 18 months and finish running each of your marathons feeling on top of the
world.
Love you all heaps! Ofa
Atu!
Sister Kennedy Rushing xx
No comments:
Post a Comment