Attack of the Gall Bladder


Narooma Week #3


Hey yous! :) I had a very eventful week. And it was going to be this way, even until Friday happened, because I watched conference and had such a cool adventure - which turned into one of the best spiritual lessons I have ever had about the gospel and myself. But lets get Friday out of the way first....

So on the way back from ZTM, I had a gall bladder attack. I wasn't aware that was what was going on at the time but I felt such a distinct prompting to go to the hospital. Which is weird, because in our family- we only go if we are literally dying! Luckily we stopped in Nowra at the sisters flat since the pain was so bad, and they had more doctors up there, but finding a good GP still took ages! But we finally found one, and thanks to Australian health care, it took about 2 hours before I was seen. By then, the pain was down and I felt so dumb... I was like praying something WOULD be wrong. How weird is that? And low and behold it was, the doctor said having K-Fry the other day was probably not the smartest (it was just once on the way to ZTM since we have NO fast food in Narooma, so I was thinking I was being oh so healthy haha) But I guess all the beautiful Polynesian feeds and my bad eating habits FOR YEARS finally got to me and my gall bladder is struggling to digest fat. So I have been on fluids and no fat the last 2 days and I am getting an ultrasound today to see if it is stones. So stay tuned. I am fine though. Ever since I got a priesthood blessing I have felt at so much peace. If they tell me I need surgery, then I will be a little more freaked. Not the surgery itself, just the fact the Backs said if so I would just go home since I'm so close to finishing. That is what I'm trying not to think about. So there is the whole spill - so hopefully there isn't too many other questions....

Now that we have taken care of business- my spiritual adventure! So to try our best to stay under our monthly K limits, we take as many shortcuts or back roads as possible, (just as many in life try to take shortcuts to happiness). At first I had a prompting... "am I really going to take this road? Am I sure its the right one?" But I did it anyways. At first it was exciting (how do I know this? it is because we took videos of this whole experience haha) We were laughing on this fun little back country dirt road "This is going to such a fun adventure!" (as are the wrong roads in life sometimes... at first). 


Then it started to get bumpier... literally.  But it'll be fine, right?! (Ignorance in a sin). We then come across a big puddle. But we have already come too far to turn back, and the thought doesn't even cross our minds, rather its, how do we get through this and keep going in this direction?! We literally get out of the car, measure the puddle's depth with a stick and think "We can take it!" Going through this puddle was a little thrill, and adrenaline rush, till it got deeper than we expected and we felt like we ran over a crocodile haha (Just how in life we think we can take on a little more, and justify certain things as we pridefully think we are stronger than the commandments to protect us). 

Then the road we took was way rougher than we ever intended it to be. We started to become nervous, confused and felt very alone. We start to look ahead and see where this path is going and realize we can't handle it and we won't be able to get out safe (just as we can see that the wrong roads in life also won't take us where we need to go). 

So we finally have the genius and much delayed thought come to mind to TURN AROUND, or to repent. All of a sudden we realize how dumb we have been and that we were not completely alone. A biker came by, affirming to us that we did indeed take the wrong road and encouraged us to turn around (kind of like the role of the Bishop, parents or others around us that love and care about us and want to help us make the right decisions and stay on course). On the way back we were shocked at how we came out so far and sometimes even found the journey back more difficult. Repentance as well is sometimes difficult and has its obstacles. The whole time we were thinking "how in the world did we go as far as we did?" as we were now more aware of the dangers we took on before. And as symbolic as it could possibly get, right before we made it to the smooth part of the road (or the straight and narrow, the gospel of Jesus Christ) a GIANT poisonous snake lurks in front of us. 

When we were so close, Satan himself (often symbolized as a snake) will try to cut us off and stop us because he knows how close we are to return to the truly easiest and happiest path. We panicked but then remembered we were safe in the car (or in the Lord's hands) and that the Lord led us the whole journey back thus far and would not disappoint us now. And after that final trial passed, we were out. A messy and dirty little corolla but that is what car washes and the sacrament are for right?! :)

It was just an eye opening analogy and I'm grateful we were video clipping the whole thing to read our reactions to this little journey we went on and relate it to each of us in our lives. 

Sorry for that spill. But I think its really cool and wanted to share that, as well as my favorite highlights from the general women's and 3 sessions of conference I have watched so far (still get to watch Sat. Afternoon so I'm excited it isn't done yet. Because I feel like after conference is over I leave the "real world" and go back into "missionary world" which means that when I have to transition back into what everyone usually calls as the "real world" I am going to be really sad because to me, even as a missionary, conference is the closest to the real world, everything is put into such a real, absolute truth perspective!) Wow that was a long parenthesis... so here we go! :)

-Human judgment and logical thinking will not be enough, we need constant personal revelation
-Everything about following and sustaining a prophet in our days, oh how much we need one!
-The Godhead being 3 separate individual beings yet one in purpose and our potential to also each be one in that purpose
- Sacrament and striving to more thoughtfully partake of it
-Walking AS Christ walked all paths of life (disappointment, temptation, pain)
-Striving to make Christ the center of my life, for eternal life, which He died to gain
-Focusing on the fundamentals of the gospel, as Satan tries to distract us to focus more on the appendages.
-Using agency to develop good HABITS and to include God in each decision. "The more we develop these habits the more anxious is Satan to harm us but less ability to do so"
-If I continue to live as I am living will the blessings of my patriarchal blessing be fulfilled?
-We must be WILLING to change, change is part of the great plan of happiness.
-Missionary work is not selling a product; there is no reward of prize, sharing the gospel if a reflection of the Atonement's importance to us.
-When we think "Someone's gonna have to pay for this!" Remember someone already has and how infinite and far reaching the Atonement is.
-Which direction am I facing? Neutrality is actually often being two faced or trying to serve two masters, self-contentment vs. Self-improvement/repentance. Do good anonymously as much as possible (This talk by Elder Robbins had to be my FAVORITE!)
-A God without demands is a God that doesn't exist
-Put God's will to the test, LIVE the gospel. Personal testimony is the most important thing you can gain in this life and the church is a place for those with all depth of testimony
-The importance of agency
-And always having a temple focus (aka the whole General Women's session)


I feel so spiritually fed, even if I have just been on no fat fluids the last 3 days.  The gospel of Jesus Christ fills us with peace, joy and hope out of this world. I hope we all carry the messages of conference and the gospel or "the real world" with us into our mortal world. I learned so much this week how central Jesus Christ is. Ever since the Fall He is the only means that we can communicate with, and return to live with, our Father in Heaven once again. It is only through and by Him and his sacrifice and that is what is central, everything else in the gospel are
 truly appendages. I love my Savior, my Father in Heaven and the fullness of the gospel that has been restored to an earth, guided by Them through revelation and a living prophet today, Thomas S. Monson. I am honored to represent Them in Their work.

Happy and healthy enough,

Sister Rushing :)

No comments:

Post a Comment