Thou Shalt Not Covet Thy Family's Conference Week


Narooma Week #2


Hey yous!
Conference weekend for you.... when I realized that yesterday I was VERY covetous. So I'll repent and get back to you all about that this week. (they show General Conference a week later in Australia since they are a day and a half ahead of us which would show live in the middle of the night on Monday)I love hearing the revelation from prophets and apostles OF our day FOR our day.

But more miracles in Narooma. We somehow managed to find another 3 new investigators this week (oh wait, I know how- with the Lord!) We found Daphne, golden older Aussie lady, late 60s maybe? Taught her the restoration with the cups. Great deep questions about priesthood and the "government" of our church. I love being able to say we don't operate under man-made, paid clergy but solely revelation from God. Then Ben. We found him door knocking. Younger bloke, married, owns his own business and is a blank slate and super open to learning if Christ himself had a church and is anti man-made religion. And then Pam, who initially let us in for a chat but "wasn't interested"... yeah, we will see how long that lasts because she is super nice and seeking truth. :)

Then we met Anna. She is from Vanauatu. She is awesome. Super spiritually in tune and interested in the gospel because of the good examples she has seen, yet at the same time currently put off because of a bad example she has seen. Example is definitely the best teacher. 

Also, met some awesome recent converts and less-actives. Brother McGee is once again on the search for what church is true and we were able to talk about how the Book of Mormon is the keystone. Then met an amazing recent convert that is just struggling to adjust after almost a year and feels like giving up and that she will never make it. I was able to relate with my perfectionism as well and how once we really understand the Atonement and the doctrine, eternal life is easy to attain, it is the straight and narrow path back home. It was really cool reflecting on how much I have changed leading up to the mission and the mission itself and finally believing that I can honestly make it. Personal perfection is not required of us right now, our best attempt at it is. Can't wait to help her see that as well.

And hopefully we showed our example and dedication as we walked for 2 days.. which isn't a big deal I know, we sound pathetic. But when the closest towns near us have like an hour or two walk in the middle of nowhere.... not the best use of time. But we are working on getting more K's (approved Kilometers on car milage) for our area since it is massive and we drove 2 hours just for our district meeting on Friday. But back to walking we saw some miracles- like Colleen. I felt prompted to knock her door, mostly because she had a picture of Elvis in it, and I was born in Memphis right? It was a wonderful prompting, she opened up to us about everything that she has never told anyone before and said she knows it is because Christ is working through us. 
(my sweet companion Sister Heoft from Tonga)


But after so many miracles we did have a few stink days of just no one home, no one interested, etc. It was a difficult transition after seeing so many miracles. I almost felt like the Israelites who after God did SO much for them was like where are you God?! I am sure this is why we are counseled so much in the scriptures to remember all the good things he has done for us. So as soon as I caught myself thinking, why is no one receptive today?! I remembered all the miracles we have seen, pushed forward, and the miracles without fail came. Even if it was just finding my planner on the side of the highway were we were walking on the way to church yesterday (yes, I am much less type A now as a missionary but I still was dying not having my planner for one day). haha

Awkward moments are ever so present though.. like tracting a street that has been overly knocked by Jehovah's witnesses, aka not receptive, except for the one lady that thought we were them and told us we were suppose to come by on Wednesday and now wants to meet with us too! Met with a potential Ian, an older man that volunteers with other returned service men and had a chat with him and all his fellow returned service men. That was interesting! And last but not least has to be how we ran/walked Princes Highway when no cars were coming by, to not only burn fat, but to also make it to our appt on time.

But seriously SO EXCITED for general conference. So excited to be in Narooma and for this amazing opportunity I have to serve. Continue to be a great example, to remember the blessings and tender mercies that have touched your life and I challenge you to put the Lord first and see how everything else will fall into place :)


Love you!

Sister Rushing


Letter part two:


And also some other things to note.... since I rushed through my email too fast as always...

(Back to perfectionism). God never works through discouragement. That is only Satan. God always works through motivation.

(Back to miracles/awkward moments) Then I am personally trying to improve praying always so as we were walking I asked Heavenly Father to have a miracle in the area we were currently proselyting in to help re-energize us. Then as soon as I said Amen, a car slowed down, rolled down the window and asked for directions, as soon as I went to my bag, she saw our badge and said “Nevermind” and drove off. Haha Almost there! Heavenly Father sure does have a sense of humor. :)

(Then back to Ana). She went to read the Book of Mormon and at random, opened up it and the bible 15 times, and each time they lined up. I think that might have proved to me even more than it did to her how it is truly another testament of Jesus Christ.


So there is just a few things I felt to add that I spaced earlier! But I love being in a small branch though. It is so different from my entire mission so far. And I'm finally using my piano skills, or lack there of, as well and reminded how quiet sacrament meetings are when there are no kids - YSA ward status! 

No comments:

Post a Comment