Kangaroo…it's what's for dinner

Hey yous!
What another beautiful week in Wollongong, and you better believe I am making the most of being by the ocean. One day we even choose to walk everywhere even though we have the beauty of a car. Smelling the ocean air, feeling the spirit, it was a beautiful scene as I'm sure yous all would imagine... until I remembered how dehydration and blisters feel. 

But regardless, two Plan of Salvation pamphlets later and meeting a less active member that talks for 2.5 hours despite trying to boldly (and lovingly) cut her off still made it all worth it in my eyes.

So besides the beach and more miracles to spill, I have been attacked by mossys (American English translation- mosquitoes). One swelled up big enough I tried to scare myself into thinking it was a spider bite. But don't worry, that is false doctrine. But the bishop here is in hospital for a white tail spider bite, and that is the truth. So it does happen!!!! I also ate some KANGAROO finally. It was yum. 

And try these.... fried chocolate sandwiches. You butter ‘em up some bread like for grilled cheese, but melt pieces of chocolate inside instead. Then once its all fried up, put cinnamon sugar on it and topped off with ice-cream. You can thank me later ;)

We had zone conference here as well. It was the same as the one I just had in my last zone but I still got heaps out of it! I love President and Sister Lew so so so much :) I have the best mission parents and real parents. Mom thanks for sending the Lower Lights music (best indie/folk sounding group that sings hymns- check them out!) And Dad thanks for sending our family history. I'm so grateful for my ancestors that made so many sacrifices so I could have the gospel in my life and all the blessings that come from that. It really is everything.

Still really trying to focus on meeting everyone, building up trust, and talking to everyone the Lord puts in our path. For example, we went to pick up some fish and chips one night. The guy saw our badges and asked if we recognized the Christian fish symbol. It led to a conversation about our service and the restoration of the gospel. We left him with our information and he gave us all the info to talk to his daughter who is interested in religion and missionary work and his son who he kept reminding us is "Available"!  I think we will be getting some more fish and chips in the near future for followup! Then heaps of service. Including this lady who we think is just using us for service and isn't actually interested in learning the gospel. But oh well, I'm still here to serve and she has the cutest son with very severe autism. But we helped her put in a pond! The elders were a late show, so Sister Hala and I carried all the concrete up her massive hill of a driveway. Getting my deltoids back? haha

The Nigerian investigator we found is progressing really well. He had really deep sincere questions about the Book of Mormon but luckily, with the spirit, we were able to address all of them. He accepts it and sees no problem with it and is really enjoying it. We taught him plan of salvation yesterday and once again, lots of deep (but sincere) questions, including pre-mortal life and the spin that puts on us leaving him, if the fall was really part of the plan, and more scriptures about the spirit world and levels of heaven. So excited to address those this next week! He is so genuine in his search for truth, and I know without a doubt he will find it in this gospel.

Then yesterday the biggest miracle. I just LOVE less active and part member families and I think I found my golden one here. It was one of those awkward, you pull up to the curb and then they pull into their driveway 10 seconds later. But we embraced it and approached #intense She turns out to have been less active for about 20 years and was very standoffish. Normally I'd be like... "ok, well nice to meet you enjoy the rest of your day" but something told me to not give up so quick. But then her partner was quite firm and questioning, asking how we knew his partner, what church we were from, and then started searching our religion. Prime moment for a mormon.org pass along card haha. He was very argumentative sounding and I was not in for another bible bash but again, the spirit told me to not give up so easy. He wanted to know what makes us so different; he said so many Christian sects teach that Christianity itself is really all you can believe in. Well after the spirit answered all his stern questions, his heart was softened. I was able to bear a strong, simple testimony and I think it touched him. We didn't have a spare Book of Mormon on us but he gave us an appt. on Wednesday to give him one and talk to him some more. Once again, a genuine seeker for truth. He was a little rough around the edges with an intimidating first impression but he genuinely wants to know. I was then able to say my favorite little Sister Rushing-ism to him about how we aren't here to force him to believe it because we believe it. But to invite him to learn a truth that has blessed our lives and how he will get the answer if its true or not on his own, and how we are confident he will because we have. He accepted this and even asked about being able to attend church. YAY!

Just to wrap it up, I read a scripture this morning I just thought was gorgeous (yes they use that word here to describe anything positive, isn't that just great? I'm starting to pick up on that too!) But I wanted to share it with all of yous...

"Learn in thy youth to keep the commandments of God. Yea, and cry unto God for all thy support; yea, let all thy doings be unto the Lord, and withersoever thou goest let it be in the Lord; yea let all thy thoughts be directed unto the Lord; yea let the affections of thy heart be placed upon the Lord forever, counsel with the Lord in all thy doing, and he will direct thee for good." Alma 37:35-37

(Princess Cailin with our matching princess skirts, this might violate white handbook standards but this is the only way she will pose with me! sorry not sorry? She is a member of the Stewart family that does dinner and FHE with all 12 missionaries every Monday night (and yes they come from the Scottish Stewart clan so we are related somewhere more recent than Adam and Eve haha)

I know this is true. Learn to be obedient from the start, repentance is a beautiful thing but doing what is right in the first place is much better. Always know God is your support, everything else might fail you but he NEVER will. Focus on him, and put him first, NOTHING is more important than him. If you do this, I know everything else will fall into place. We need to be his hands here on the earth, pray for opportunities to serve and he will give them to you. It is amazing. I love this gospel. It is the truth. Keep smiling and have a great week! Love you all and don't worry about me, I am happy as down under and loving every moment of this work. It's going by too fast.

Love you all!

Sister Rushing :)

No comments:

Post a Comment