Conference High


Hey yous!

General Conference was this week... need I say more? I was more excited for this weekend than I was for CHRISTMAS. I kid you not. But before I get into that, there were heaps of tender mercies, miracles and just good times and laughs this week....


Tuesday- The wonderful couple from New Zealand that holds FHE for missionaries, less actives and investigators every week was a hit because the lady we have been working with and reading scriptures with every week, Lavina, came! Super apprehensive at first but ended up loving it!


Wednesday- Miracle day! We contacted Amy, a referral from a member in our Stake. She previously met with elders after finding our church on her own. She had been on the search for religion and ours just happened to be the only one that made sense and answered her questions (esp. with her son she lost in infancy). But she lives with her parents who are so anti-religion that she ended up dropping the elders. But she was willing to give us sisters a try (she is in the neighboring ward, which doesn't have sisters, sounds familiar right? Remember Stacey?!) The spirit was so strong in our lesson, she knows the church is true and can recognize the spirit, so it was no surprise she accepted our invitation to be baptized and is preparing herself for May 10th. So members... give us referrals. They truly are the best sources of finding!
Then we met with another one of my favorite less actives, the 70-year-old Scottish lady, Patricia. She knows she needs to rearrange her priorities and put God first and was so committed to come to Conference, she bought a notebook and everything, but her phone wasn't working, so her ride just left.

Oh and our recent convert we work with here, don't think we will be working with him anymore. He is so strong spiritually but quite immature for being 22. Apparently, he has instagrammed us, and keeps wanting to take Polaroid pictures with us (especially me), and whenever he shakes my hand, he literally holds it. And always manages to find inappropriate comments. He wants blonde children. Yes, it is very interesting...
Oh and Rachel, our new investigator we found that is like super into world peace and all that? Well we think she is a prostitute. No joke. Another different "friend" was over during an appointment but it allowed us to instead go swing by Ben and Sharon's (the less active and non member partner) and finally got in touch with Ben and give him the Book of Mormon and set up another return appointment.

Thursday- Swung by Rachel's again, a different "friend" was there. So that confirms my prediction as mentioned above. But then we had the best lesson with Lavinia (the less active that came to FHE earlier that week). She finally read some of the Book of Mormon- on her own, 3 whole chapters! And then we read 1 Nephi 7 with her and had a great lesson on forgiveness. It was so powerful.

Friday- I forgot how good Subway cookies are.... haha We went there after district training meeting and we got to give up our seat to an "Aussie" Vietnam vet, and ended up giving him a pamphlet. Preach by the way everyone! It’s not that hard once you just do it! Oh and I finished reading D&C, our Church history is so incredible and I loved all the references to missionary work! Starting the New Testament again and I am just loving it!

Ok so conference. I really can't pick a favorite. I try but then I keep remembering other talks, so I will just share some snippets. But I loved the theme of Jesus Christ, relying on him, showing his love, and obedience. It was so inspiring.

- Elder Holland saying how “What would Jesus do (WWJD)’ won't always bring a popular response.
- Elder Scott might just have been my favorite from Saturday. I loved how he said that we need to sincerely love those we want to help so they can gain confidence in God's love for them through you. And how we all grow line upon line.
-Elder Hales on obedience. "When we obey we accept his sacrifice" and "if you know the consequences why make those choices?"
-Elder Uchtdorf might have been my favorite from Sunday (but again, so hard to pick) but loved how he mentioned not to just be grateful FOR things but be grateful IN our circumstances "We can choose to be grateful no matter what" and I loved how he talked about why as humans we struggle with endings because in God's plan, there are no endings, just everlasting beginnings and how gratitude is the catalyst to all Christ like attributes.
-Elder Ballard talked about missionary work so I have to mention him! Everyone invite your friends, you won't regret it and study Preach My Gospel. I do nearly everyday and I love it :)
- Elder Bednar on Matthew 11, take Christ yoke upon you, let him help YOU carry your load. It is often our loads that help get us back on the road to return to our heavenly home.
-Then President Monson on kindness and charity. "Rise each morning determined to respond with love and kindness to whatever comes your way" what great counsel from a living prophet of God on the earth today.
-Elder Perry on how today's complexity requires more simplicity.
-Elder Corbridge on how truth will always be opposed. I thought this talk would be great for you Layton!

And then President Monson, our dear beloved prophet and his closing remarks... Wow. The spirit was so strong it was like leaping out of my chest. I hope just like he hopes that we all will "try to do a little better" and "ever be found doing the work of the Lord." I am so grateful for the counsel, comfort and revelation I have received from conference and hope all of you watch it, rewatch it, read it, and reread it. Member or nonmember, young or old, their messages will bless your life. I know this is His church on the earth today. Everything is centered on Jesus Christ and likewise so should our lives. Have a great week!

Love you all heaps!
Sister Rushing :)



Sister Pelto, Sister Halo, (Flat mates) and the trio Sister Rushing, Sister Qi, and Sister Larson

No comments:

Post a Comment