So Tuesday was our p-day and I was busy all day cleaning the flat with my companion and Elder and Sister Haynes. We are making it more sanitary after decades of Polynesian elders and cockroaches. Happy birthday to me! :) But seriously, that was great. Then I had a surprise bday at the chapel. You know you are like the only white missionaries when you have heaps of Otai (that yummy fruit drink) and a "key" which you get on your 21st, and since 21 is such a big deal, I got $50 from the tongan elders and the card was addressed "Happy Birthday Sister ???" So... feeling the love that I got 50$ from complete strangers! haha But this ward I'm in now is great. Bishop Quezada and the Ward Mission Leader are super involved. We have rescue visits every Tuesday and trade-offs with members every Wednesday.
Wednesday was MIRACLE FILLED. After we planned for exchanges (my first exchange is this week, we cover 17 sisters, 2 zones, and are now trying to bring them back in our "model" area... yeah both white washed so working on that one... as much as possible- if that answers your questions more mum and dad), we contacted a potential investigator who is super into her religion but gave us a referral, then we stalked a blind man who ended up already reading the Book of Mormon, went to meet a recent convert from Fiji but she wasn't home- just her daughter-in-law Dee who is a 7th day Adventist and we taught her the Restoration and she seems really keen and wants a Book of Mormon in Fijian! Met Mary. She is a solid less active member that really wants to come back- she even stayed all 3 hours of church this Sunday for the first time! It was great. I love her so much! And that night we met the Ward Mission Leader, Bro. Epati, and his family. They are so missionary minded, it is great. They are really trying to "fill up our planners."
Thursday- Finally got some stuff for my eczema dad- just a cortisone and an antihistamine, I am looking so much better and much less like a leper :) Talked to everyone but not much interest. Even the kids I bought a chocolate from for their school fundraiser (sacrifice, right?!) But met Bishop and his family that night. Powerhouse couple- both returned missionaries. He is from Chile and she is Samoan! He even gave us some people to see!
Friday- I had my first MLC (Missionary Leadership Council) and it was also President Palmer's first council as well. It was a lot less scary than I thought! I feel super motivated to do all I can to fulfill this calling and help others. It felt like the Congress of the mission but without any corruption! haha "Well in our zone..." etc. But it was great to see the love President has for all of us and the mission leaders for the missionaries. We have great missionaries, and a great mission but really want to focus on molding our own "mission culture" and reminding the missionaries that they are indeed missionaries and not young single adults :) But once we got back to our area we met the Relief Society President who is also solid as and visited some less active sisters with her. Oh and at MLC guess what I found out?! TRISH GOT BAPTIZED! She was the investigator from Belconnen that was a referral, and then was so keen, taught her all the lessons, committed to be baptized, then wanted to reschedule date and then like fell of the face of the earth my last week?! Well she came around and my heart was exceedingly happy when I found out!!!!!!!!!!!)
Saturday- We met a very special lady, and her very special friend. Who would of thought I'd sing "The wise man built his house upon the rock" with all the motions with two women in their 60s.... haha #daymade. Then we saw (and dropped) an investigator who's whole family is mormon. She full on said to our face she will never change, Joseph Smith was not a prophet, and the Book of Mormon is not the word of God. Even if she has never prayed, read it, and is only looking at anti-mormon stuff online... hmmmm? You think things like that would shake my testimony right?! But it didn't. The warmth I had in my heart as I testified and the fact I felt nothing when she said that just strengthened everything I stand for. She was nice about it though and complimented our diligence in what believe. And for that I am grateful. Because that diligence is not because I was forced to believe it, nor was I brainwashed, but I prayed and had, and have had, numerous witnesses from the Holy Ghost of its truth. Oh and our scale is super friendly, it tells me I'm 5 Kgs lighter than i actually am so krispy kremes count as lunch and hot chips with a Maccas frappe totally count as dinner :)
Tight fit - we call this the diet test
Sunday- So much for our "English" ward. I think I saw 2 palangi's?! (white people) haha it is so great, and SO tongan! Then saw some more people and that night we got to attend the Stake Missionary Coordination meeting. It was really nice to see how missionary minded not only our ward is but our stake, and seeing the bishops account for their "key indicators" were so funny. Fun stat though out of 282 investigators missionaries found through their own effort, 5 were baptized. Out of the 44 investigators found through referrals from members, 10 were baptized. This is why it is so crucial for members and the missionaries to work together people!
Monday- Then the mission conference with Elder O-reardin from the Seventy. So good. Alot of the points brought up in MLC were addressed really well and I feel super motivated and inspired to truelove live our purpose and be a full purpose missionary, fully devoted, etc. etc. and being a missionary that people can trust. Then great lessons with some less actives that night, including Mary again and her unbaptized daughter who is 16 and just had a baby, and her partner. Best lesson on testimony, Holy Ghost and receiving answers to our prayers. And that night we went to a member of the Bishopric's (the Ashers) for dinner. It was MEXICAN! #missinMexican and we met Mele, a recent convert of a week who is living with them. She is gorgeous, in her 20's and so so so strong.
So great to see the Sisters from the Gong (Wollongong)
So I think I answered most of my parent's requests of info. Sorry if I am boring the rest of yous! But I love this work so much. I love that the gospel is a process of always learning and always being a little better each day. I am so grateful for the ways I have grown in this last year and boy oh boy, I have big plans to keep being the best vessel of the Lord I can for the rest of my mission as well as the rest of my life. Thanks for all the love and support! Yous are the best!
-Sister Rushing
No comments:
Post a Comment